Number of Seats
Scenic Views, Peaceful Waters: Learn More About Kayaking
Relish your day on the water with the right kayak.
Paddle on in a kayak crafted for the adventure. Explore the kayak collection at DICK’S Sporting Goods for the vessel that’s right for you:
Today’s kayaks are equipped with performance-enhancing features. Soak up sun with a kayak built with ample seating room. Bring in your trophy catch with a fishing kayak optimized for stability. And take on rapids aboard a whitewater kayak.
Shop top paddle sport brands for a kayak you can rely on: Advanced Elements®, Pelican®, Sea Eagle® and Sun Dolphin®. Don’t forget to pick up a kayak paddle for your outing.
Think about your journey and how you will use your kayak. Recreational kayaks are designed for ease of use and maneuvering, while whitewater and fishing kayaks are engineered with utility in mind. Consider the different types of kayaks available:
- Sit-In Kayaks: Traditional kayaks are designed for easily paddling on open waters. These kayaks typically feature some amount storage space for your belongings. Keep in mind that the longer and narrower your kayak, the faster and easier it is to maneuver. The more compact your kayak, however, the more stability you will have on the water.
- Inflatable Kayaks: These kayaks are stable and effective on the water. Inflatable kayaks ensure that storage is a breeze—simply deflate your vessel and skip the boat rack. Inflatable kayaks are built with abrasion-resistant materials and multiple air chambers.
- Sit-on-Top Kayaks: These kayaks are ideal for beginners or those who have trouble getting in and out of a traditional sit-in kayak. They tend to be wider than traditional kayaks, which adds both stability and seating room.
Think about what you need to be comfortable in the water. Padded and adjustable seats, adjustable foot braces, built-in cup holders and coolers all ensure you’ll enjoy your day on the water.
Learn more about the construction of your kayak before making your selection:
- Weight Capacity: Always keep in mind the recommended weight capacity of your boat. If you plan to spend an extended amount of time on your kayak, look for vessel designed with added weight capacity and storage compartments. Tandem and three-person kayaks are a great option for those who want to bring others along on the journey.
- Hatches: Many angling kayaks have storage space located at either end of the vessel. These bulkheads provide buoyancy if the boat becomes capsized. Hatches come with plastic or plastic lids or neoprene covers.
- Rudder: The rudder of your kayak works as a submerged paddle. Engaging the foot levers in your kayak determines the direction of the rudder.