Learn More About Kayaks
Finding The Right Kayak For The Water
Heading to the water? Your adventure on the water begins with a kayak from DICK’S Sporting Goods.
Kayaking is a great outdoor activity for all ages and skill levels. Paddle sports can help improve cardiovascular health as well as muscle strength throughout the body. Plus, many kayakers enjoy scenic views and peaceful waters—it’s a perfect way to relax and take in nature.
Today’s kayaks are equipped with performance features that help you make the most of your time on the water. You can get ample seating room, storage space and excellent durability in the latest vessels. The collection at DICK’S Sporting Goods includes sit-in kayaks, fishing kayaks, tandem kayaks and inflatable kayaks.
Keep these factors in mind when selecting your new kayak:
- The longer and narrower your kayak is, the faster and easier it will be to maneuver. Compact kayaks, meanwhile, offer more stability on the water.
- The weight capacity of kayaks can vary greatly, so consult product information for your vessel’s specifics. Remember that this capacity includes both the boater’s body weight and any additional items aboard the kayak.
- Kayaks come with several different hull types. Streamlined hulls are called “shallow V,” and they provide exceptional maneuverability. Wide, balanced hulls are called “pontoon,” and “multi-chine” hulls offer a balance of agility and stability.
Shop some of the top brands in paddle sports for a vessel you can count on, including Perception Sport®, Pelican®, Airhead® and Sea Eagle®.
Paddling a kayak is an especially unique means of adventuring in the great outdoors.
Recreational kayaks are easy to use and maneuver in the water. More specialized vessels, including whitewater and fishing kayaks, are designed with utility in mind. When choosing your kayak, think about your skill level and water environment as well as storage and transportation needs.
- Sit-In Kayaks are “traditional kayaks,” designed with an interior seat. They offer easy paddling on the water and can feature storage space for your belongings.
- Inflatable Kayaks make storage a breeze—just deflate your vessel and skip the boat rack. These kayaks are stable and effective on the water, made with high-quality, abrasion-resistant materials as well as multiple air chambers.
- Sit-on-Top Kayaks are great for beginners or those who may have difficulty getting in and out of traditional kayaks.
- Fishing Kayaks often come with rod holders, built-in tackle boxes and other storage features for anglers. They also offer extra stability—so anglers can stand up to cast or get a better view of activity below the surface.
- Whitewater Kayaks are compact and agile for taking on rapids and more technical water conditions. Skilled kayakers can best handle these boats.
Shop kayaks or paddle boards for hours of excitement on the water.