Energizer Holdings Inc., Announces the Voluntary Nationwide Market Withdrawal of several Banana Boat Sun Care Products
Todd Ringler, Edelman
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - October 19, 2012 - Energizer Holdings Inc. (NYSE: ENR) (St. Louis, MO), announced today it is initiating a voluntary market withdrawal of the continuous spray Banana Boat sun care products identified in the table below due to a potential risk of product igniting on the skin if contact is made with a source of ignition before the product is completely dry.
Affected Product - UPC
- Banana Boat Ultra Mist Sport 15 Spray 6oz, US - UPC: 7965600979-8
- Banana Boat Ultra Mist Sport SPF 30 Spray 6oz. 2/3 - UPC: 7965600878-4
- Banana Boat Sport 30 Bonus Continuous Spray 8oz - US - UPC: 7965600955-2
- Banana Boat Ultra Mist Ultra Defense SPF 30, 6oz - UPC: 7965604626-7
- Banana Boat BONUS 8oz Ultra Defense SPF 30 Ultra Mist - UPC: 7965600956-9
- Banana Boat FAMILY SIZE SPORT 30 Ultra Mist 9.5OZ - UPC: 7965605167-4
- Banana Boat Ultra Mist Sport SPF 50 6oz, 2/3s - UPC: 7965600933-0
- Banana Boat Ultra Defense Ultra Mist SPF 50 6oz. 2/3s - UPC: 7965604492-8
- Ultra Defense 50 Bonus Continuous Spray, 8oz, US - UPC: 7965604549-9
- Banana Boat Ultra Mist Kids SPF 50 Clear 6oz. 2/3 - UPC: 7965604495-9
- Banana Boat Sport 50 Bonus Continuous Spray 8oz, US - UPC: 7965604551-2
- Banana Boat Ultra Mist Sport Performance SPF 50+ Spray 9.5oz. - UPC: 7965605110-0
- Banana Boat Ultra Mist Ultra Defense 85 Spray 6oz - UPC: 7965604654-0
- Banana Boat Ultra Mist Sport 85 Spray 6oz, US - UPC: 7965604665-6
- Banana Boat Kids SPF 85 Spray 6oz, US - UPC: 7965604916-9
- Banana Boat BONUS 8oz Ultra Defense SPF 85 Ultra Mist - UPC: 7965604677-9
- Banana Boat BONUS 8oz Sport SPF 85 Ultra Mist - UPC: 7965604679-3
- Banana Boat 6oz Sport SFP30 Spray Twin Pack - UPC: 79656-05374-6
- Banana Boat 6oz Sport SPF50 Spray Twin Pack - UPC: 79656-05028-8
- Banana Boat 6oz Spt30 Ultra Mist 2pk w/Sport Lotion&Lip - UPC: 79656-05389-0
- 8oz Banana Boat Sport SPF30 UltraMist w/Sport LipBalm - UPC: 79656-07951-7
- Banana Boat 6OZ SPT 30 UltraMist W/$1 Instant Redeemable Coupon - UPC: 79656-07975-3
- Banana Boat 6oz SPORT SPF50 Ultra Mist 3PK - UPC: 79656-05464-4
Energizer is voluntarily removing these products from retail outlets because of this potential safety concern. Energizer believes that this issue is associated with the product delivery system, specifically the size of the spray valve opening on the affected products. The spray valve opening on the affected products dispenses more than is typical in the industry for continuous sun care sprays. As a result, the product is taking longer to dry on the skin than is typical with other continuous sprays. If a consumer comes into contact with a flame or spark prior to complete drying of the product on the skin, there is a potential for the product to ignite.
Energizer is notifying its retail partners to stop selling the product. Energizer has received four reports of adverse events involving burns associated with the use of the Banana Boat SPORT Ultramist SPF 30 and 50 products in the US, and one event in Canada. Consumer safety is the primary objective of Energizer and therefore it has voluntarily initiated this market withdrawal. As already described, Energizer believes it has identified the cause of this safety concern and expects to offer new Banana Boat continuous spray products shortly.
Consistent with existing warnings on all continuous spray suncare products, consumers should take care to avoid sources of ignition when using these products, should not smoke while using these products, and should not use these products in the presence of a flame or spark.
Consumers who have purchased any of the above listed products are advised not to use them. Consumers with questions or complaints regarding this market withdrawal can contact Energizer by calling Consumer Affairs at 1-800-SAFESUN (1-800-723-3786) Monday through Friday, 8:00AM to 7:00PM Eastern, or by sending an email to: SUNCARE@customerfollowup.info.
These over-the-counter products were distributed nationwide to wholesalers and retailers from January of 2010 through September 30, 2012.
This market withdrawal is being conducted with the knowledge of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Adverse events that may be related to the use of these products may be reported to FDA’s MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting Program either online, by regular mail or by fax:
Regular Mail: use postage-paid FDA form 3500 available at: www.fda.gov/MedWatch/getforms.htm
Mail to: MedWatch, FDA, 5600 Fishers Lane, Rockville, MD 20852-9787