|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE|
|Firm's Recall Hotline: (800) 282-2287|
|June 6, 2013|
|CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772|
|Recall Number: 13-209|
|CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908|
Gerber Recalls Machetes with Stitched Sheaths Due to Laceration Hazard
Consumers should stop using this product unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.
- Name of Product: Gerber® Bear Grylls Parang Machete with stitched sheaths
- Hazard: The Parang machete can cut through the stitching of the sheaths when the blade is taken from or replaced in the sheath, posing a laceration hazard.
- Units: About 80,000 in the U.S. and 11,000 in Canada
- Importer: Gerber Legendary Blades, of Portland, Ore.
- Description: This recall involves stitched sheaths sold with curved blade Parang machetes. The stitched sheath is made of black nylon, with only stitching on the curved side. There are five rivets on the bottom of the sheath and two rivets bordering the strap on top. The machete measures 19.5 inches with a blade length of 13.5 inches. The sheath measures 16 inches long and 3.5 inches wide and has "GERBER" printed in gray and two Bear Grylls logos in orange. The machetes with sheaths were sold as a set or as part of Gerber's Apocalypse Survival Kit, which includes a Parang machete among other items in a foldable black cloth case with "GERBER" printed on the inside right. The model numbers are on the package. Model numbers are: 31-000698, 31-001507 and 31-002289. Model number 30-000601 is on the package for the Apocalypse Survival Kit. The stitched sheath is the only one of three styles of sheaths sold with the Parang machete included in this recall.
- Incidents / Injuries: Gerber has received eight reports of lacerations to the user’s hands or fingers, including three injuries that required stitches.
- Remedy: Consumers should immediately store the covered Parang machete in a safe area away from children. Contact Gerber Legendary Blades to receive a free replacement fully-riveted sheath.
- Sold at: Sporting goods stores nationwide and online from February 2012 through February 2013 for about $43 for the machete and sheath set, and $349 for the Survival Kit.
- Manufactured in: China
- Consumer Contact: Gerber Legendary Blades toll-free at (877) 314-9130 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT Monday through Friday or online at www.gerbergear.com and click on "Product Notifications" at the bottom of the page.
Gerber Parang Machete with Stitched Sheath
Gerber Stitched Sheath
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is still interested in receiving incident or injury reports that are either directly related to this product recall or involve a different hazard with the same product. Please tell us about your experience with the product on SaferProducts.gov
CPSC is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of injury or death associated with the use of the thousands of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $900 billion annually. CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical or mechanical hazard. CPSC's work to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters and household chemicals - contributed to a significant decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.
Under federal law, it is illegal to attempt to sell or re-sell a recalled product.
To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury go online to SaferProducts.gov or call CPSC's Hotline at (800) 638-2772 or teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270 for the hearing impaired. Consumers can obtain news release and recall information at www.cpsc.gov, on Twitter @OnSafety or by subscribing to CPSC's free e-mail newsletters.