Rated 4 out of 5 by Tyintil3 Great Ice Shelter for beginners
I purchased this shelter a couple of weeks ago and I have been out on the ice 6 times after that. I was a little skeptical at first because of the price, but I was happily proven wrong. The shelter performed as needed and I have been very happy with this product.
1. Quick and easy set up. It works better when you have two people setting it up, but you can do it with one person. Since you should not be ice fishing alone anyway, it works out well. Be sure to follow the directions because that is the easiest way to set it up.
2. Removable windows and covers. The windows are durable and removable. This is nice because in the sun this puppy gets hot. Last time I was out I shed down to my t-shirt because it was so warm. It was 35 outside.
3. 2 doors. It is nice when you have rods setup to be able to have your own door to exit. The door design is easy to use and has held up well.
4. Ice anchors. It comes with lines and 8 anchors. This is a must in Colorado when the wind hits. They are easy to use and secure the shelter perfectly.
5. Spacious. It is marketed as a two person shelter, but last time we went out we had three people fishing in it. As long as your seats are not luxury liners, it will work for three people. It is also ideal for my wife and two children. We all fit great.
6. Price Price Price. The price is pretty unbeatable and it comes with a durable carrying bag with backpacking straps for easy carrying.
7. Pull handles. The handles on each of the pop out joints are awesome. They make setup really easy and fast. Plus, they make for great tie down points. Very durable material.
1. The seams. They are thin and it is easy to see how they could pull apart if it is not taken care of. The same applies to the zipper seams.
2. Thin material. It is great for keeping weight down, but if someone sticks a hook it in, it could tear pretty easy. Durable yes, great durability, not so much.
3. Small windows. The windows are small, which isn't always a bad thing, but it would be nice to have a double the window size when I am fishing with my kiddos.
4. interior pockets. They are not really durable and don't really hold too much. It would be nice to have larger and more durable pockets on all the walls inside.
5. Height. This may not be important to most people, but to a guy who is 6'5", the height is rough. Not bad, but rough. If I had an extra six inches, it would be great. If you are 6 feet or under, this would be great for you.
Overall I have been really really really impressed with this product. I would recommend it for any beginners. The final thing I have to say about this product is that even thought it may seem weak, it will serve you well. My buddies where taking it down and forgot to hold it when they pulled the ice anchors out and then chased it for 3/4 of a mile before someone tackled it for them. They brought it back and it was perfectly fine regardless of its 100+ rolls. Excellent shelter for the price. Eventually I will purchase a nicer one, but for a beginner, this is perfect!
January 21, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Nick instashak
This shanty is really nice. I've read reviews on a lot of pop up shanties being difficult to put up and down in the wind because it blows all over. I've found that if you stake down one corner before opening it up it makes it less of a "kite". And vice versa leave ozone stake in the ground until it's ready to go in the bag.
January 19, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Hotel california compact yet good for three
my instashak came in three days of shipping. set it up in a few easy steps,I really like the 4 removable windows,& the two doors make this ice shelter easy to get in & out of.going fishing for as long as the ice holds out. excellent product.
January 18, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Dave Good value
Very easy to set up took just a couple of minutes to put up could be a few inches taller but is comfortable
January 18, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by amdavis tricky set up, good concept
We know of 2 instashaks of this model (ours and a friends) that upon first opening the same piece has broken. On the poles at each hub, where the poles brace, there are nubs that hold the poles in place and create the tension needed to pop out the sides. It is very poor construction as this is not a solid or very well created piece.
It's been great having the shak on the lake, but I worry about this happening again and again. Expect better engineering for the price.
January 7, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by tmurph Awesome!!
Love this shanty, light weight, sets up in minutes, very spacious
January 7, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by #1fisherman This is my first shanty, It sets up quickly, no problem at all.
I set this shanty up the first time on the ice and was out of the wind, had my little buddy heater going, and was comfortable the whole time I was on the ice fishing. I did take a portable drill to drill pilot holes for my ice anchors. It went up fast. Dick's Sporting Goods surprised me, I ordered it right before Christmas and They had it here the next day! Now that is Service. For the price, you can't go wrong. I Thank Everyone There at Dick's Sporting Goods for the Excellent Job they all did. Wish you all a late Christmas and a late Happy New Year.
January 6, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by timbuc2 Instashak is great for the price
easy to use once you figure out the right way to set it up, for the price a good deal quick delivery
January 5, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Jared Poorly engineered.
The joints on the supportive members of my HT Instashak broke in 2 different places the first 2 times I used it. The stress on the supportive members was too great to withstand the applied compression and tensile forces when erecting the shelter. I followed the directions carefully, but yet it failed to perform. Poorly engineered, but I liked how easy it was to set up and take down while it lasted.
December 27, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Dave My Husband Loves this Tent!!
He has put and taken his ice fishing tent up twice, in the shop! He also has tried out his little propane heater in it. He plans on going ice fishing later this week.
December 17, 2013