Rated 4.5 out of 5 by 4
Rated 4 out of 5
by ColoradoGuy Performs Well, few Quirks
I bought this kayak last year from Dick's based on good reviews and design. Here are the positives:
1. Handles well. Very maneuverable. Fun to paddle.
2. Great design. Water tight storage, lots of useful bungee, great seat. I often strap folding seats to the outside and small coolers inside.
3. Light weight. For me the length and weight are ideal.
1. Water tight compartment is very difficult to seal properly. The rods underneath the top often come out of track and will not easily seal with the hull. I have had them pop open as I transport the kayak or much trouble when I stop for rest or lunch to reseal. Need to improve design.
2. Seat folds down but has no easy straps or clips. If you transport this with the seat fully up it acts like a noisy air dam on your car. I have to tie it down which is not easy.
I have two kayaks and I and friends have had a lot of fun in this kayak despite the troubles.
July 5, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Beach Bum Dirigo 106
Hi, my girlfriend and I recently bought 2 of these kayaks, we do like them however, I'd advise anyone buying one to give it a good once over before you walk out of the store with it. Hers is fine, mine has two issues; 1# The back storage, dry bulkhead leaks, so it's not dry, upon closer inspection the silicone holding the bulkhead in place, let go and one side has a huge gap where water leaks past. 2# The cover for the back storage is very difficult to lock, the cover seats over the opening fine but there is a lock feature that you have to almost push the cover concave for it to latch, my girlfriends operates easily without such efforts. Also one minor discrepancy on their product description below:
Dashboard mounted hatch with dry bag #nope sorry, this feature is not here)
Glove box hatch for keys, wallet #I think they are counting this storage twice)
On the issue of storage and security, I have seen other kayaks with a hole in the bow or stern to run a cable lock through. This model does have several locations near the seat, inside the cockpit, to run a cable lock through, however you can not do this and put a cockpit cover over the opening to keep nature out, the two do not work at the same time. It would be nice if Old Town would incorporate this in their future designs.
Other that these minor issues we like our kayaks, they are easy to handle both in and out of the water, we'd buy them again, just felt we'd pass on our experience here with others to help them make more informed decisions.
June 18, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Canoegrrl Dirigo 106
I own two Dirigo 106 kayaks and they have always been my favorite recreational kayak. Comfortable seat, lots of bungee cords and a easily accessible secure area in the back for a days worth of snacks and dry bags.
January 21, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Tom great Kayak for the money
comfortable seat, roomy , good construction for the money
June 7, 2011