Learn About Hockey Helmets, Shields & Visors
Get the protection you need on the ice with industry-leading hockey helmets as well as hockey shields, visors and masks from DICK’S Sporting Goods.
Hockey is a rough-and-tumble sport, and it takes the right equipment to stay safe for practice and play. The latest hockey helmets are remarkably low profile and lightweight, providing a comfortable fit that never compromises the protection and coverage you need.
Some helmets come with a facemask combo, while others can be customized with an individual facemask or vision shield of your choice. Protect yourself from high-flying pucks with comfortable neck guards and maintain your equipment a variety of hockey tools and accessories, like helmet repair kits, shammys and more.
There are three main components of your hockey helmet: A hard outer shell, inner padding for comfort and shock absorption and the various external hardware that hold the helmet together. Some helmets come with a facemask or shield attached, while others can be customized. Keep in mind these factors when selecting your new hockey helmet:
- Materials: Outer shells are commonly made of sturdy plastic or composite materials. Inner padding is made of responsive yet dense foam that absorbs shocks from contact—including sticks, pucks, boards and the ice itself. Sleek, low-profile designs protect without feeling bulky. Many shells come as a two-piece construction, though some are single-piece systems.
- Helmet Features: Specialized ventilation ports allow for breathability, and foam ear covers and chin cups provide important protection from contact.
- Tool-Free Adjustment: This convenient feature allows players to make quick adjustments to their headgear, even mid-game. Without this feature, helmets require screws to be adjusted for customization.
- Occipital Locks: these lock cups are located on the back of the head, below the occipital ridge. They prevent the helmet from coming apart upon extreme impact.
- Visors & Shields: Face shields, which offer either full or half-face coverage, provide protection and clear vision of the rink. High-impact polycarbonate shields let you take on aggressive hits with confidence, while scratch-resistant coating keeps your view crystal-clear.
Remember, always check with your local league before purchasing a new hockey helmet. No helmet can prevent all head or neck injuries. Always refer to your manufacturer’s instructions and warnings before using your helmet.
Looking for more? Check out the entire collection of hockey equipment at DICK’S Sporting Goods.