NOW: $54.99 (8% off!)WAS: $59.99*
Learn More About Basketballs
Hit the Court with a New Basketball
Find the best basketball for your game. Make sure you pick the right-sized basketball for your age, league and skill level.
- Youth Basketballs: 27.5" basketballs are ideal for kids 11 and younger.
- Intermediate & Women’s Basketballs: 28.5" basketballs are best for boys 12 to 14 and women 12 and older.
- Official Basketballs: 29.5" basketballs are ideal for men 15 and older. Official-sized basketballs are designed for players in high school, college and pro leagues.
Choose basketballs designed for recreational play and pickup games or opt for a professional-level official ball for more serious gameplay. This collection also includes mini basketballs, which are great for kids as well as drills and skill development.
If you find a lower price on a basketball somewhere else, we’ll match it with our Best Price Guarantee.
Looking for more? Make the most of your new basketball with ball pumps and inflation devices from DICK’S Sporting Goods. If you’re shopping for other sports, check out the complete collection of sports balls.
Buying Considerations for Basketballs
Modern basketballs feature a rubber bladder and are typically covered with a lightweight leather, rubber or synthetic composite material. Read customer reviews of basketballs to help you find the style that’s right for you and consider the following:
- Keep in mind the main components of a basketball: the internal bladder, its carcass and covering, threads, channels and pebbling. More advanced players should consider grip, tack and material when choosing a basketball.
- Basketballs are designed specifically for indoor or outdoor play. Outdoor basketballs are usually made with rubber or a highly durable composite. This type of ball sometimes has a harder touch than an indoor ball. Indoor basketballs are usually made with leather or composite material. These basketballs may not have the longevity of outdoor styles.
- The inside of your basketball contains a basic rubber bladder. Nylon or polyester threads wrap around the bladder to create a round structure. Two rubber layers provide a mantle-like carcass. The ball is covered by a paneled surface, which features channels that seal the ball together. The surface of the ball is textured by pebbles, which promote better grip.
- Basketballs come in a variety of colors. You can go for a classic orange ball, opt for a colorblocked style or find an NBA® basketball with your favorite team’s colors.
- Use the DICK’S Sporting Goods basketball size chart to determine which ball you should buy. Note that the age ranges listed are not standard across all leagues. Check with your local league to ensure appropriate sizing.
Set up a court at home with basketball hoops from DICK’S Sporting Goods.