Learn More About Bike Helmets
Protection for Every Ride: Bike Helmets for Adults & Kids
Shop a great selection of kids bikes.
Support safety wherever you ride with a high-quality bike helmet from DICK'S Sporting Goods.
Whether you’re riding off-road or cruising down city streets, choose a bicycle helmet that’s right for you in safety and style. Shop a variety of helmet styles perfect for any age, activity or look.
Keep you and your whole family safe with helmets engineered for protection. Find options designed for women and men, as well as boys, girls and even toddlers.
- Versatile sport helmets are great for bikers dabbling in all kinds of cycling.
- Are you into more hardcore biking? Check out tough mountain bike helmets crafted to last through mud, dirt and heavy hits.
- Road bike helmets are designed to keep you safe while still providing a lightweight and aerodynamic fit for maximum speed and breathability.
- BMX helmets offer heavier coverage around the back and sides of the head for those tough rides.
Find comfortable-fitting helmets for children in a variety of bright hues and fun designs that they’re sure to love. Slip on a sleek and streamlined adult helmet that won't weigh your down when logging miles. Specially designed women's casual bike helmets give you that slim fit and feminine color you want with the protection you need. Pick up helmets from trusted brands at DICK'S Sporting Goods, or check out the full collection of bike gear.
Bike Services: Make sure your bike is ready for the road with a variety of bike maintenance, installation and repair services. Visit our Bike PROS at your local DICK’S Sporting Goods store.
Learn More About Bike Helmets
Look for a quality helmet that offers the right blend of lightweight comfort and protection to ensure a fun, safe ride. Learn more about the crucial parts that make up a high-quality cycling helmet:
- Helmet liners, made of expanded polystyrene foam, are designed to crush and crack in case of an impact. They take the brunt of the hit and protect your head.
- Helmet shells are made of ultra-tough polyethylene plastic. While shells give you the stylish look you want. They are built to hold your helmet together during a crash and keep sharp debris like rocks, sticks and road pieces away from your sensitive head.
- Helmet shells also make the helmet skid on impact, effectively decreasing friction and lowering the risks of more serious injuries.
- Helmet vents enhance airflow around your head, helping you stay cool and comfortable as you ride.
- The more vents a helmet has, the cooler it will be.
- While straps vary in thickness depending on style, they are all designed to keep your helmet on your head during an accident or crash.
- Mountain bike helmets typically have thicker straps to handle the extra bouncing and jostling that goes along with off-road riding. Road helmets have lighter, thinner straps to help you stay cool.
- All straps, no matter the helmet style, should be worn tight against your throat.
- Some straps include pinch-preventing buckles that keep you from pinching your neck when securing your helmet.
- Lighter helmets, though often more expensive, are better than heavier options. Helmet weight is more of a concern in road cycling and doesn't matter as much in mountain biking.
- Helmet weights are listed in grams and ounces.
Helmets that come with a removable visor or extended front lip are ideal for blocking out bright sunlight during daytime rides. Add a visor to stay squint-free.
Road and trail cycling require specifically designed helmets to keep you safe and make your ride more enjoyable. Multi-sport helmets, however, are designed for optimal versatility. Wear a multi-sport helmet for general skating or riding.
By law, all helmets sold in the U.S. must meet standards set by the Consumer Products Safety Commission.