Learn More About Bikes
Bikes & Gear for Fitness, Commuting & Recreation
Discover the right bike for your journey at DICK'S Sporting Goods and make sure to check out our selection of bikes for kids.
From versatile hybrids to ultra-rugged mountain bikes, you can maximize your ride with a bike that's designed for your unique journey. Get in the saddle today with performance frames, wheels and features. Before you begin, think about where and how you will ride:
- Mountain Bikes are designed to handle rough terrain encountered on unpaved trails and off-road adventures. These bikes are built with sturdy frames and high clearance that enables them to overcome mud, rocks and debris encountered on the trail. They come with upright handlebars for easy handling and wide tires for ample shock absorption.
- Road Bikes are best for riding on pavement. These bikes are a great match for commuters, fitness riders and long-distance athletes. They are designed with narrow, high-pressured tires that provide a smooth ride, as well as a lighter frame and higher seating position.
- Hybrid Bikes are best for casual road riding or cruising along smooth dirt trails. Hybrids are an excellent utility bike. They possess the lightweight frame of a road bike with the wide tires and high clearance of a mountain bike.
- Cruiser Bikes are designed for style. Leisure riders love biking neighborhood streets or the community park on a cruiser designed with vintage-inspired features, fun colors and an eye-catching design.
- BMX Bikes should be able to take on any surface—from city sidewalks to rough off-road terrain. Ensure your bike can hold up to the stress of ramp riding and dirt jumping alike.
Experienced cyclists know it doesn’t end with the right bike—you’ll need accessories, repair kits, extra tires and more to make your journey complete. Shop the full collection of bike gear for more.
Keep your bike in excellent condition with DICK’S in-store bike services, including bike maintenance, tune-ups, repairs and installations. Plus, free bike assembly is available for any bicycle purchased in store or online with proof of purchase.
How to Choose the Right Bike for Your Needs
Use these tips to help you find the bike that’s right for you.
- Think about where you will ride your bike – will you be trail riding or cruising down neighborhood streets? Choose your bike based on your size and the type of biking your plan to do.
- Off-road cyclists should look for a bike that is constructed with a sturdy frame and wide tires, while road cyclists need a lightweight bike that delivers a smooth ride and superior agility.
- Cyclists looking to bike both on and off-road should consider a hybrid bike that blends features of road and mountain bikes for total versatility. Look for features that add comfort and ease of movement to your ride, like narrow handlebars and wider seat.
- Comfort bikes are ideal for leisure cyclists looking for a relaxing ride and ample shock absorption. Serious long-distance riders, meanwhile, might opt for the tenacity and sleek design of a cyclocross bike.
- Aluminum is the most common material used in the construction of bicycles and delivers a lightweight feel for an agile ride. Steel proves the most durable in a variety of terrains and conditions, a feature that is an asset to mountain cyclists.
- Consider the braking system on your bike. Coaster brakes engage with reverse pressure on the pedals. Rim brakes employ a soft rubber brake pad, while disc brakes use a metallic disc as a pad.
- Do you commute to work? Folding bikes can easily collapse if you need to catch a bus. Plus, they’re lightweight and require minimal storage space.
- Pick up a pair of cycling shoes to experience grip and stability on your new bike.