Learn More About Football Cleats
Find the Right Football Cleats for Your Game
You've suited up for the gridiron with your helmet, pads and compression wear, but what's your secret weapon on the field? It might just be your football cleats.
Your football cleats provide critical traction, stability and support on the field—and they need to work as hard as you do.
The latest football cleats provide a remarkable, low-profile fit for support on the field. Responsive padding and breathable materials provide comfort through the final seconds on the clock.
Shop men's football cleats and youth football cleats from some of the most trusted brands in football. Check out Nike® football cleats, plus styles from Under Armour® and adidas®, and browse cleat collections inspired by the pros, featuring Cam Newton cleats.
Keep in mind, players should always consult product information for details on their football footwear-many are designed with features that complement specific playing styles.
The best football cleats this year are the top-rated Nike Alpha Menace Elite, C1N MC cleats and the Nike Force Savage. Read over 500 user reviews to find the right pair of football cleats for your season.
How to Choose Football Cleats
There are a variety of factors to consider before you buy football cleats, including cleat construction, playing surface and materials used.
Molded vs. Detachable Football Cleats
When it comes to football cleats, players have to choose between molded and detachable cleats. The style an athlete chooses is based on the field conditions they play in, their league's regulations and preference.
- Molded football cleats are permanently attached to the shoe. Players usually wear molded cleats for the traction the cleats provide and their versatility on different playing surfaces.
- Detachable cleats have studs that can be easily changed or replaced. Being able to change the studs is an advantage when playing in uncertain weather conditions. Shorter studs are best for playing on dry ground, while longer studs allow a player to dig into wet, uncertain surfaces.
- There are a variety of replacement studs a player can buy for their football cleats. Studs can be plastic, rubber or metal-tipped.
Football Cleat Materials
Football cleats are made of different synthetic materials, all of which serve different purposes. The following materials are the most common:
- Pebax® is a thermoplastic elastomer that is resistant to impact, harsh weather conditions and flex fatigue. While this material is very light, it also offers great support, is durable, and does not stiffen or weaken in cold weather.
- Thermoplastic Polyurethane is a lightweight, water-resistant material that can withstand extreme temperatures. This durable elastomer can withstand high impact and is more dent resistant than metal.
- Polyurethane is a durable material that has the elasticity of rubber. This material is made to withstand harsh weather conditions. While polyurethane is very flexible, it is also able to withstand high-impact situations.
- Ethyl Vinyl Acetate is a very flexible, but durable, material that is made to withstand extreme cold and heat and will not crack from stress or age. Also, EVA offers weather resistance.
- PORON® Urethane is a breathable material that forms permeable layers to wick water and perspiration away from your feet. This material is able to withstand and absorb high impact and will not shrink or weaken with age.
Remember, parents should not purchase youth cleats in a larger size to accommodate their child’s future growth. Cleats that are too large can cause discomfort and pose a higher risk of injury to the player.
Looking for more? Check out the full selection of football gear and equipment at DICK'S Sporting Goods.