Hiking Boots & Shoes
Learn More About Hiking Boots & Shoes
Ready for Your Trek: Hiking Boots & Hiking Shoes
Get the hiking boots and hiking shoes you need at DICK'S Sporting Goods. Choose hiking boots and shoes that include the performance features you need to maximize your time outdoors.
Trek through the field in high-cut and mid-cut hiking boots, crafted with an extended ankle to provide both stability and protection on rugged terrain. Low-cut hiking shoes provided more flexibility and a lighter feel, which make them great for casual wear, too.
Rugged and responsive, with a traction-maximizing construction, your hiking boots should help you take on the trail with confidence.
Shop hiking boots in a range of sizes and styles for men, women and kids:
Weatherproofing is key for your hiking boots and shoes. Choose hiking boots designed with durable, water-resistant fabrications, including nubuck, leather and rubber. A gusseted tongue helps prevent dirt and debris from penetrating the interior of your boot, while a full-grain upper offers weather protection.
Rubber lugs along the outsole of your hiking boot help grip the ground and provide traction on uneven terrain. Look for details like an EVA footbed for cushion and comfort and mesh inserts for breathability.
If you find a lower price on hiking boots somewhere else, we’ll match it with our Best Price Guarantee.
What to Look for in Your Hiking Boots & Hiking Shoes
Think about your outing. Where do you plan to hike and what will the conditions be?
- Light hiking boots are geared toward novice and intermediate hikers. Think one to two-day hikes with a simple day pack carrying only essentials. These boots are constructed for a lightweight, flexible fit with minimal support. Uppers consist of both mesh and leather for breathability added comfort. Opt for a low-cut hiking boot or sneaker-inspired design.
- Technical hiking boots are built for experienced hikers trekking on a multi-day hike over a variety of terrains. These boots are outfitted with maximum support, full-grain uppers and added cushioning.
- Keep in mind the added details you need to make the most of your excursion. Shanks, located in the midsole of your boot, offer added stability and support. A gusseted tongue prevents debris from penetrating your shoe. And you can customize your footwear with removable footbeds or insoles.
Think about your shoe construction when choosing a hiking boot:
- Upper: A full-grain leather upper is supportive, durable and waterproof. Suede uppers offer more flexibility and breathability on the trail, but not as much support and weather protection as a full-grain leather. Suede is not waterproof, but can be treated for water resistance.
- Midsole: The midsole of your boot disperses weight to provide stability. The midsole can be composed of a variety of materials. Compression-molded EVA, or Ethyl Vinyl Acetate foam, offer a lightweight fit. Materials including TPR and polyurethane are lightweight, comfortable and deliver adequate shock absorption.
- Outsole: Hiking boot outsoles are construction of rubber and offer added traction when hiking over a variety of surfaces. Lugs or treads help increase traction-but remember, the deeper they are, the heavier your boot will feel.
Stock up for your journey with a variety of hiking backpacks and camping sacks at DICK'S Sporting Goods.